Once you’ve mastered the art of taking a good selfie, move on to bomb selfie captioning. What makes a good selfie caption good? Here’s a 3-step guide on what to do, what not to do and a whole bunch of examples to get you started. Enjoy!
🤙Good Selfie Captions Add Personality
The concept of storytelling is such a hot theme on social media because what connects people to people are the experiences, the details, and the stories that we share. The same way editing apps like Facetune2 help you personalize your selfie visually, a caption helps you personalize it with words.
Bring the two-dimensional ‘you’ out of the selfie on the screen and into your followers’ hearts and minds. I got a tad poetic there, but the bottom line is this: a generic caption is the worst! Ever stumbled upon this one? ‘Me, myself & I’. That one is, in a word emoji: 🤦♀️. Not memorable, and certainly not you. How about ‘A selfie a day keeps the doctor away’? 🤦♀️🤦♀️🤦♀️.
Selfies can be taken anywhere – a good caption strives to add context and explain more about the who, what, where or why. Your selfie itself is just one part of the story and the caption is your chance to share the whole thing. Your vacation selfie certainly has you looking cute, but why don’t you share the funny anecdote about how you snapped it before you realized you forgot sunscreen and came home redder than a stop sign? Or how the vintage sundress you’re wearing is a hand-me-down from your sister who inherited it from your cousin because #family?
🙌 Good Selfie Captions Engage Your Audience
That’s why we’re here right? Likes, followers, comments, more followers! Get just 5% of your followers to leave a comment in response to your caption, and in social media terms, that’s a freaking great success. Congrats! Go take that afternoon nap, pour yourself a glass of wine, splurge on a designer bag — however you celebrate a job well done.
How can you encourage engagement on every post? Adding personality and context to your captions will help, adding certain selfie hashtags might help, but what else can you do? Address your audience directly. Ask a question. Call on your followers to share their thoughts, their advice, their tips and tag their friends. I said it before: people looovvvee to share (at times, TMI) and as humans, they simply want to connect. Why do you think Instagram story games are so popular right now?
But I’ve digressed. Let’s go back to the vacay selfie example. You could finish your caption by asking your audience for suggestions for sunscreen that won’t clog pores. Or keep it general: ask them to comment with their fave beach hotspots or to tag a friend they can’t wait to party with this summer.
🤜Good Selfie Captions Start Out Strong
Your mission in life is to stop followers mid-scroll. Your selfie itself may be enough for a half-second pause, but a good caption underneath will get them to stick around and engage; and just like a standup comedian, you need a strong opening line.
The way me and your mom met? Oh, she saw a picture of me on Instagram and commented, “Who’s that zaddy” then the two eyes emojis fifteen times
— Brittani Nichols (@BisHilarious) June 16, 2019
In case you need some inspo to start rolling out captivating selfie captions out in every post, I’ve compiled a list of 25 selfie caption openers that I don’t hate.
Selfie captions for a messy hair day or when you’re channeling the fierceness within.
- Find your wild.
- Go wild for a while.
- Embrace the glorious mess that you are.
Ideal for the inevitable ‘morning selfie’. Back it up with why you’re ready to take on this day like a bad-ass.
- Coffee and confidence.
- May your coffee be hot and your eyeliner even.
- Confidence level = selfie, no filter.
- Some days start better than others.
- A little contour and a lot of confidence.
Save these selfie captions for the selfies you’re most proud of.
- Like the view?
- Nothing feels as good as a selfie on the first try.
- Get your pose on.
- Not eye candy. Soul food.
Lazy day selfies. AKA every Sunday.
- Today I will be as useless as the g in lasagna.
- When you follow your heart, and it leads you to the couch.
- Super lazy. Like normal lazy, but with a cape.
#OOTD. Fashion. Style.
- Feelin’ like a stiletto in a room full of flats.
- Don’t be regular glue. You are glitter glue.
- Life is a party. Act like it, dress like it.
- My standards are high, but my heels are higher.
- There’s power in looking good. There’s also power in looking ridiculous and not caring that you do.
- Take care of your costume and your confidence will take care of the rest.
- I’m feeling the fashion in this frame.
For selfie’ing with a friend.
- Not sure what’s tighter, our jeans or our friendship.
- The kind of person who makes me forget to check my phone.
- She had me at “We’ll make it look like an accident.”
👋Famous Last Words
Make sure to add your personality, your own flavor, your own twist of lemon (or vodka?) in every selfie caption. And if I ever see you with the likes of ‘Me, myself & I’, I reserve the right to unfollow.