Once you’ve mastered the art of how to take a good selfie, move on to bomb selfie captioning. What makes a selfie caption considered good in 2021? How do you come up with the best possible selfie quote? What should you caption your selfie?
Here’s a 3-step guide on what to do, what not to do and a whole bunch of selfie caption examples to get you started. Enjoy!
🤙The Best Selfie Captions Add Personality
The concept of storytelling is such a hot theme on social media because what connects people to people are the experiences, the details, and the stories that we share. The same way editing apps like Facetune2 help you personalize your selfie visually, a caption helps you personalize it with words.
Bring the two-dimensional ‘you’ out of the selfie on the screen and into your followers’ hearts and minds. I got a tad poetic there, but the bottom line is this: a generic selfie caption is the worst! Ever stumbled upon this one? ‘Me, myself & I’. That one is, in a word emoji: 🤦♀️. Not memorable, and certainly not you. How about ‘A selfie a day keeps the doctor away’? 🤦♀️🤦♀️🤦♀️.
Selfies can be taken anywhere – a good caption strives to add context and explain more about the who, what, where or why. Your selfie itself is just one part of the story and selfie captions are your chance to share the whole thing. Your vacation selfie certainly has you looking cute, but why don’t you share the funny anecdote about how you snapped it before you realized you forgot sunscreen and came home redder than a stop sign? Or how the vintage sundress you’re wearing is a hand-me-down from your sister who inherited it from your cousin because #family?
🙌 Good Selfie Captions Engage Your Instagram Audience
That’s why we’re here right? Likes, followers, comments, more followers on Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok! Get just 5% of your followers to leave a comment in response to your caption, and in social media terms, that’s a freaking great success. Congrats! Go take that afternoon nap, pour yourself a glass of wine, splurge on a designer bag — however you celebrate a job well done.
How can you encourage engagement on every post? Adding personality and context to your captions will help, adding certain selfie hashtags might help, but what else can you do? Address your audience directly. Ask a question. Call on your followers to share their thoughts, their advice, their tips and tag their friends. I said it before: people looovvvee to share (at times, TMI) and as humans, they simply want to connect. Why do you think Instagram story games are so popular right now?
But I’ve digressed. Let’s go back to the vacay selfie example. You could finish your selfie caption by asking your audience for suggestions for sunscreen that won’t clog pores. Or keep it general: ask them to comment with their fave beach hotspots or to tag a friend they can’t wait to party with this summer.
🤜Good Selfie Captions Start Out Strong
Your mission in life is to stop followers mid-scroll in the Instagram feeds. Your selfie itself may be enough for a half-second pause, but a good Instagram caption underneath will get them to stick around and engage; and just like a standup comedian, you need a strong opening line.
The way me and your mom met? Oh, she saw a picture of me on Instagram and commented, “Who’s that zaddy” then the two eyes emojis fifteen times
— Brittani Nichols (@BisHilarious) June 16, 2019
In case you need some inspo to start rolling out captivating captions for selfies in every post, I’ve compiled a list of 80 selfie caption openers that I don’t hate.
Funny Selfie Captions
Did you know that people like you more when you make them laugh? Instead of throwing together a “Felt cute, might delete later, idk” selfie caption, get creative. Your followers are there for entertainment, so give ‘em the old razzle-dazzle.
If you’re not in a funny kind of mood, watch 5 minutes of standup on YouTube. I guarantee you’ll get in the right headspace to make someone ROFL for reals.
Still stuck? Here are a few legit funny selfie captions to get the juices flowing:
- Coffee is cheaper than therapy
- I don’t always take selfies, but when I do …
- Class, sass, and a little trash
- Rosé all day
- It’s sexy time
- It’s not a phase, mom
- Wine about it
- Oh hey there
- Big hoop attitude
- Smile, it confuses people
- Not today, Satan
- Classy AF
- Plant daddy
Cute Selfie Captions
Showing off your fave footie pajamas? Or featuring your cute-as-hell doggo on your Insta? Whatever cute thing you’re doing, up the “aww” factor with a caption that says it all.
Now, your selfie should be at least 100% adorbs. A cute caption takes that post to 110%, which is sure to blind followers with your cuteness.
Here are a few of my favorite cute selfie captions perfect for Instagram:
- Sweet like honey
- Sunday Funday
- Pretty in pink
- Messy bun and getting stuff done
- Cute but psycho
- Wanderlust and city dust
- Be yourself–everyone else is taken
- No rain, no flowers
- tfw you’re a room without a roof
- Stay gold
Food Selfie Captions
Picture it: you’ve finally scored a basket of greasy, amazing food truck fare. Obviously, you’re going to share this delicious find with your followers.
But aside from the token #foodie Instagram hashtag, it can be hard to know what to say. How many ways can you say, “Holy crap, this is delicious” before your followers tune out?
Here are a few more creative things to say for your next food selfie captions:
- “Give me all the eggs and bacon you have” –Ron Swanson
- 9 out of 10 people love chocolate. And the tenth person is lying.
- Eyes are bigger than my stomach
- Just found all the weight I lost
- My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
- You wanna pizza me?
- Good food, good mood
- Skinny people are easier to kidnap, anyway
- “People who love to eat are always the best people” — Julia Child
Love Selfie Captions
I’m a sucker for a sweet, loving post every now and again. Whether you’re selfie-ing with bae, your mom, or your pup, the right caption can really drive the point home with your followers.
- You’re the king, baby, I’m your queen
- Self-love is the best love
- I’ll never let you down
- My better half
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard
- I’m yours
- You make my heart smile
- My ride or die
- Surround yourself with people who make you happy
- If it’s meant to be, it’ll be
’tis the Season
No matter how frost bitten your typing fingers might be, or how how hot your iPhone burns underneath the summer sun, in the world of Instagram there is always a season for the right selfie captions:
- I’m made of pumpkin spice and everything nice
- I love flannels and selfies in the fall most of all
- Don’t stop be-leafing
- Tis the season to be freezin
- Eat, drink, & be cozy
- Sleigh all day
- Sunshine is the best medicine
- Stop & smell the roses
- Hello spring
Last but not least, Summer Selfie Captions:
- Eat. Sleep. Beach. Repeat.
- Keep calm and lay in the sun.
- We’re cool for the summer
Check out more seasonal captions for fall, winter, spring and summer here!
And here’s 33 more of the best selfie picture captions in 2021 for your Instagram needs:
Selfie captions for a messy hair day or when you’re channeling the fierceness within.
Messy hair days happen in real life. Be brave and show your morning hair to the world.
- Find your wild.
- Go wild for a while.
- Embrace the glorious mess that you are.
Ideal for the inevitable ‘morning selfie’. Back it up with why you’re ready to take on this day like a bad-ass.
Morning selfies deserve more than a clever caption: by sharing these you are displaying confidence for all those to see.
- Coffee and confidence.
- May your coffee be hot and your eyeliner even.
- Confidence level = selfie, no filter.
- Some days start better than others.
- A little contour and a lot of confidence.
Save these selfie captions for the selfies you’re most proud of.
Feeling proud? Got some moxie? Let everyone know!
- Like the view?
- Nothing feels as good as a selfie on the first try.
- Get your pose on.
- Not eye candy. Soul food.
Lazy day selfies. AKA every Sunday.
Sunday selfie captions are also known as lazy days:
- Today I will be as useless as the g in lasagna.
- When you follow your heart, and it leads you to the couch.
- Super lazy. Like normal lazy, but with a cape.
#OOTD. Fashion. Style.
- Feelin’ like a stiletto in a room full of flats.
- Don’t be regular glue. You are glitter glue.
- Life is a party. Act like it, dress like it.
- My standards are high, but my heels are higher.
- There’s power in looking good. There’s also power in looking ridiculous and not caring that you do.
- Take care of your costume and your confidence will take care of the rest.
- I’m feeling the fashion in this frame.
For selfie’ing with a best friend.
- Not sure what’s tighter, our jeans or our friendship.
- The kind of person who makes me forget to check my phone.
- She had me at “We’ll make it look like an accident.”
Feeling myself captions shouldn’t be taken the wrong way, as long as it’s not every day.
- Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
- Find me where the wild things are
- No filter, keepin’ it 100
Looking away poses.
Looking away captions can be tricky, especially if you are looking away from the camera in every selfie. Ideally these captions would be original and from the heart, but here are some suggestions:
- Once you get away from where you’re from, you look at it in a different way
- When I finish a film, I put it away and never look at it again
- The road less taken is just a few feet away
- I look away because I’m not feeling the present
- Exploring what else is out there
👋Famous Last Words
Make sure to add your personality, your own flavor, your own twist of lemon (or vodka?) in every selfie caption for Instagram. And if I ever see you with the likes of ‘Me, myself & I’, I reserve the right to unfollow.
Wait, there’s more.
Still unconvinced? No problem. Here is some additional reading for selfie captions in 2021:
- Simple selfie captions: Attention spans are short; simpler is better.
- Birthday selfie captions: Celebrate the year you were born with more than just a selfie; put some words into it.
- Serious selfie captions: Not every selfie caption is clever or smirk-worthy. Some topics are serious which means their captions carry a bit more weight.
- Witty selfie captions: A cool selfie is nothing without that witty caption.
- Savage selfie captions: Sometimes, you need to be a bit of a savage when it comes to selfie’ing.
- One-word selfie captions: Using just one word for your selfie caption? Not everyone can pull it off, but we urge you to try.
- Car selfie captions: Car selfies are not the most popular, but if you go this route, please make sure you’ve got a solid caption to go with.
- Creative selfie captions: Creativity does not end after you snap your selfie – add a creative caption and watch the likes pour in!