Once you’ve mastered the art of how to take a good selfie, move on to bomb selfie captioning. What makes for a good selfie caption in 2022? How do you come up with the best possible selfie quote? What should you caption your selfie?
Here’s a 3-step guide on what to do and what not to do — plus a whole bunch of selfie caption examples to get you started. Enjoy!
🤙The Best Instagram Selfie Captions Add Personality
The concept of storytelling is such a hot theme on social media because what connects people to other people are the experiences, details, and stories that we share. The same way editing apps like Facetune2 help you personalize your selfie visually, a caption helps you personalize it with words.
Bring the two-dimensional "you" out of the selfie on the screen and into your followers’ hearts and minds. I got a tad poetic there, but the bottom line is this: A generic selfie caption is the worst! Ever stumbled upon this one? "Me, myself & I." That one is, in a word emoji: 🤦♀️. Not memorable, and certainly not you. How about "A selfie a day keeps the doctor away"? 🤦♀️🤦♀️🤦♀️.
Selfies can be taken anywhere — a good caption adds context and explains more about the who, what, where, or why behind the photo. And yes, people aren’t just scrolling to see your pics; they’re going to read your captions.
The visual of your selfie is just one part of the story and selfie captions are your chance to share the whole thing. Your vacation selfie certainly has you looking cute, but why don’t you share the funny anecdote about how you snapped it before you realized you forgot sunscreen and came home redder than a stop sign? Or how the vintage sundress you're wearing is a hand-me-down from your sister who inherited it from your cousin because #family? That's the stuff people want to see on social media, so give it to them!
🙌 Good Selfie Captions Engage Your Instagram Audience
That’s why we’re here right? Likes, followers, comments, more followers on Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok! Get just 5% of your followers to leave a comment in response to your caption and in social media terms, that’s a freaking great success. Congrats! Go take that afternoon nap, pour yourself a glass of wine, splurge on a designer bag — however you celebrate a job well done.
If you can get them to stop, stare, and laugh in the middle of a busy city street, you deserve that fancy rosé.
How can you encourage engagement on every post? Adding personality and context to your captions will help, adding certain selfie hashtags might also help, but what else can you do? Address your audience directly. Ask a question. Call on your followers to share their thoughts, advice and tips, and tag their friends. I said it before: People looovvvee to share (at times, TMI) and as humans, they simply want to connect. Why do you think Instagram story games are so popular right now?
But I've digressed. Let’s go back to the vacay selfie example. You could finish your selfie caption by asking your audience for suggestions of sunscreen that won’t clog pores. Or keep it general: Ask them to comment with their fave beach hotspots or to tag a friend they can’t wait to party with this summer.
🤜Good Selfie Captions Start Out Strong
Your mission in life is to stop followers mid-scroll in the Instagram feeds. Your selfie itself may be enough for a half-second pause, but a good Instagram caption underneath will get them to stick around and engage; and just like a stand-up comedian, you need a strong opening line.
In case you need some inspo to start rolling out captivating captions for selfies in every post, I’ve compiled a list of selfie caption openers that I don’t hate.
Funny Selfie Captions
Did you know that people like you more when you make them laugh? Instead of throwing together a “Felt cute, might delete later, idk” selfie caption, get creative. Your followers are there for entertainment, so give ‘em the old razzle-dazzle.
If you’re not in a funny kind of mood, watch 5 minutes of stand-up comedy on YouTube. I guarantee you’ll get in the right headspace to make someone ROFL for reals.
Still stuck? Here are a few legit funny selfie captions to get the juices flowing:
- Coffee is cheaper than therapy.
- I don’t always take selfies, but when I do…
- Class, sass, and a little trash
- Rosé all day
- It’s sexy time
- It’s not a phase, Mom
- Wine about it
- Oh, hey there
- Big hoop attitude
- Smile, it confuses people
- Not today, Satan
- Classy AF
- Plant daddy
Cute Selfie Captions
Showing off your fave footie pajamas? Or featuring your cute-as-hell doggo on your Insta? Whatever cute thing you’re doing, up the “aww” factor with a caption that says it all.
Now, your selfie should be at least 100% adorbs. A cute caption takes that post to 110%, which is sure to blind followers with your cuteness. Here are a few of my favorite cute selfie captions for Instagram:
- Sweet like honey
- Sunday Funday
- Pretty in pink
- Messy bun and getting stuff done
- Cute but psycho
- Wanderlust and city dust
- Be yourself — everyone else is taken
- No rain, no flowers
- tfw you’re a room without a roof
- Stay gold
Food Selfie Captions
Picture it: You’ve finally scored a basket of greasy, amazing food truck fare. Obviously, you’re going to share this delicious find with your followers.
But aside from the token #foodie Instagram hashtag, it can be hard to know what to say. How many ways can you say, “Holy crap, this is delicious” before your followers tune out?
Here are a few more creative things to say for your next food selfie captions:
- “Give me all the eggs and bacon you have.” — Ron Swanson
- 9 out of 10 people love chocolate. And the tenth person is lying.
- Eyes are bigger than my stomach
- My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
- You wanna pizza me?
- Good food, good mood
- “People who love to eat are always the best people.” —Julia Child
Love Selfie Captions
I’m a sucker for a sweet, loving post every now and again. Whether you’re selfie-ing with bae, your mom, or your pup, the right selfie caption can really drive home the point with your followers.
- You’re the king, baby, I’m your queen
- Self-love is the best love
- I’ll never let you down
- My better half
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard
- I’m yours
- You make my heart smile
- My ride or die
- Surround yourself with people who make you happy
- If it’s meant to be, it’ll be
Dog Selfie Captions
You know what always makes a selfie better? Your pup! They help take some of the pressure off you to get it just right, and they up the cuteness factor to boot. Literally no one can pass on a cute doggo in their feed, so if you’re snapping selfies with your dog, make it clear with your captions.
Although simply adding your pooch to the picture can help increase likes and engagement, try taking it a step further by adding some of these dog selfie captions:
- This cute face made possible by belly rubs
- I melt whenever this floof looks at me
- First they steal your heart, then they steal your bed
- “I have too many dogs,” said no one ever
- It really is the dog’s house, I just pay the bills
- “Dogs are my favorite people.” — Richard Dean Anderson
- Whoever said that diamonds are a girl’s best friend never owned a dog
- The more people I meet, the more I love my dog
- Not to brag or anything, but I’m kind of a big deal to my dog
- Learn a lesson from your dog. No matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that crap and move on
Cat Selfie Captions
It’s not just dog owners who get to have all the fun! Cats get a bad rap for being a little persnickety and aloof, but these furballs are hilarious. Yeah, dogs are “officially” the internet’s favorite animal, but cat people want to show off our besties, too.
The next time your sweet kitty decides to snuggle up on your lap, grab your phone, snap a pic, and try adding one of these purr-fect cat selfie captions:
- We are litter-ally the cutest rn
- The cat is in charge, I just pay the rent
- If the world was flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now
- "As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat." — Ellen Perry Berkeley
- Crazy cat human? I prefer "dedicated feline enthusiast."
- Happy Caturday from the floof and me
- Can you even call it a home without the pitter-patter of kitty feet?
- Not all superheroes wear capes. Sometimes, they wear whiskers on their cute little faces.
- Cats never strike a pose that isn’t photogenic.
- People who don’t like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
Group Selfie Captions
You and your friends are out having a blast. Your hair looks amazing, your outfits are on point, and somehow — miraculously — you’ve managed to take an amazing group selfie! Now you just need to figure out how to caption it…
The next time you’re getting ready to upload a picture of you and your squad, check out these group selfie captions for some inspiration:
- F.R.I.E.N.D.S Fight for you. Respect you. Include you. Encourage you. Need you. Deserve you. Stand by you.
- Find your tribe. Love them hard.
- Friends are like bras — close to your heart and there to support you!
- No one will really be as entertained by us as we are
- We will always be best friends, until we are old and senile. Then we can be new friends.
- The "she" to my "nanigans."
- Good Times + Crazy Friends = Great Memories!
- Live for the moments you can’t put into words.
- Look out, Victoria’s Secret models — we comin’ for your careers.
- Friends make this world beautiful.
Bored Selfie Captions
Sometimes things get a little boring, and that’s okay. The world is a fun place, but we can’t all go adventuring 24/7. The next time you’re getting ready to show the more mundane side of things, try including one of these bored selfie captions:
- I tried to be good, but then I got bored.
- I’m so bored I wish someone would kidnap me so I could go on an adventure.
- When all things seem dull, take a deep breath and smile. The world is still interesting. You just need a fresh perspective.
- Bored of being bored because being bored is boring.
- Are you as bored as I am? Read that again, but backwards, and it will still make sense.
- Do you hear that? It’s the sound of me dying of boredom.
- Today is cancelled.
- Boredom is when you check the fridge over and over hoping that something amazing will appear.
- That awkward moment when you finish watching a TV series and you don’t know what to do with your life any more.
- Doing nothing, not feeling guilty about it.
Sarcastic Selfie Captions
If you’re feeling a little sassy, try injecting some of that personality into your IG posts with these sarcastic selfie captions:
- I really want to be a nice person, but this mouth of mine never cooperates.
- Humble, with just a hint of Kanye.
- I do a thing called "What I want."
- Someday I'm going to eye roll myself into another dimension.
- My mood depends on how good my hair looks.
- People talk behind my back, and I’m just here like: “Wow, I’ve got a fan club!”
- Perhaps I’m not made of sugar and spice, but of sarcasm and brazenness.
- Don’t worry too much about what other people think. They don’t really do it that often.
- Early to bed and early to rise just means you weren’t invited to the party.
- When life slams a door in your face, just open it again. Doors work like that.
Snow Selfie Captions
There’s something magical about snow falling on the ground, isn’t there? Everything gets covered with a sparkling blanket of white, you can see paths of animal footprints, and it’s all just a bit quieter.
Then BOOM it’s March, and the magic seems to have disappeared entirely. Beat the cold-weather blues by snapping a pic and topping it off with one of these snow selfie captions:
- When it snows you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.
- I can't get out of bed on days when the temperature is less than my age.
- Nothing beats a good snuggle on a cold winter's night.
- Sleigh all day.
- You're never too old for a snowball fight.
- With great powder comes great responsibility.
- To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold.
- Counting snowflakes instead of stars.
- 'Tis the season to be freezin'.
- They say you can't buy happiness, but you can buy a lift pass and skis, so that's basically the same thing.
Pout Selfie Captions
They may not be quite as trendy as they used to be, but the classic pout still has its place, and it remains a popular choice for selfies. Give your pouty pic some personality with these pout selfie captions:
- When in doubt, wink and pout.
- Polish, poise, and pout.
- Put on some lipstick and live a little.
- Don’t hate me for having a great pout.
- "Live your eyeliner, breathe your lipstick." — Lady Gaga
- Lipstick speaks louder than words.
- "You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye, and I got that red lip, classic thing that you like." — Taylor Swift
- A real man will ruin your lipstick, not your mascara.
- A pout a day keeps the doctor away.
Black and White Selfie Captions
Black and white pictures are a classic way to mix things up when it comes to your selfie game. Using a black and white filter will instantly give your pictures a more elegant feel, and you’ll need a great caption to go along with it. Here are some of our favorite black and white selfie captions:
- This is what I like about photographs. It's proof that once, just for a heartbeat, everything was perfect.
- "She sees in black and white, thinks in greys, and loves in color." — JmStorm
- Black is the new black.
- No person is completely wicked, just as no person is perfect. We are all grey.
- “Life is not always black and white, it's a million shades of grey." — Ridley Scott
- I’m just like the classic black and white.
- “To see in color is a delight for the eye but to see in black and white is a delight for the soul.” — Andri Cauldwell
- “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams
- “Why black and white? Because color can be too demanding.” — Diane Keaton
- Color is everything, black and white is more.
'Tis the Season
No matter how frost bitten your typing fingers might be or how how hot your iPhone burns underneath the summer sun, in the world of Instagram there is always a season for the right selfie captions.
- I'm made of pumpkin spice and everything nice
- I love flannels and selfies in the fall most of all
- Don't stop be-leafing
- Tis the season to be freezin'
- Eat, drink, & be cozy
- Sleigh all day
- Sunshine is the best medicine
- Stop & smell the roses
- Hello spring
Summer Selfie Captions:
- Eat. Sleep. Beach. Repeat.
- Keep calm and lay in the sun.
- We're cool for the summer
Check out more seasonal captions for fall, winter, spring and summer here!
And here are 33 more of the best selfie picture captions in 2022 for your Instagram needs:
Selfie captions for a messy hair day or when you’re channeling the fierceness within.
Messy hair days happen in real life. Be brave and show your morning hair to the world.
- Find your wild.
- Go wild for a while.
- Embrace the glorious mess that you are.
Ideal for the inevitable "morning selfie." Back it up with why you're ready to take on this day like a badass.
Morning selfies deserve more than a clever caption. By sharing these, you are displaying confidence for all those to see.
- Coffee and confidence.
- May your coffee be hot and your eyeliner even.
- Confidence level = selfie, no filter
- Some days start better than others.
- A little contour and a lot of confidence.
Save these selfie captions for the selfies you’re most proud of.
Feeling proud? Got some moxie? Let everyone know!
- Like the view?
- Nothing feels as good as a selfie on the first try.
- Get your pose on.
- Not eye candy. Soul food.
Lazy day selfies. AKA every Sunday.
Sunday selfie captions are also known as lazy days.
- Today I will be as useless as the g in lasagna.
- When you follow your heart, and it leads you to the couch.
- Super lazy. Like normal lazy, but with a cape.
#OOTD. Fashion. Style.
- Feelin’ like a stiletto in a room full of flats.
- Don’t be regular glue. You are glitter glue.
- Life is a party. Act like it, dress like it.
- My standards are high, but my heels are higher.
- There’s power in looking good. There’s also power in looking ridiculous and not caring that you do.
- Take care of your costume and your confidence will take care of the rest.
- I’m feeling the fashion in this frame.
For selfie’ing with a best friend.
- Not sure what’s tighter, our jeans or our friendship.
- The kind of person who makes me forget to check my phone.
- She had me at “We’ll make it look like an accident.”
"Feeling myself" captions shouldn't be taken the wrong way, as long as it's not every day.
- Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
- Find me where the wild things are
- No filter, keepin' it 100
Looking away poses.
Looking away captions can be tricky, especially if you are looking away from the camera in every selfie. Ideally these captions would be original and from the heart, but here are some suggestions:
- Once you get away from where you're from, you look at it in a different way.
- When I finish a film, I put it away and never look at it again.
- The road less taken is just a few feet away.
- I look away because I'm not feeling the present.
- Exploring what else is out there...
👋Famous Last Words
Make sure to add your personality, your own flavor, your own twist of lemon (or vodka?) in every selfie caption for Instagram. And please be careful if you use a finsta. And if I ever see you with the likes of "Me, myself & I," I reserve the right to unfollow.
Wait, there's more!
Still unconvinced? No problem. Here is some additional reading for selfie captions in 2022:
- Simple selfie captions: Attention spans are short; simpler is better.
- Birthday selfie captions: Celebrate the year you were born with more than just a selfie; put some words into it.
- Serious selfie captions: Not every selfie caption is clever or smirk-worthy. Some topics are serious which means their captions carry a bit more weight.
- Witty selfie captions: A cool selfie is nothing without that witty caption.
- Savage selfie captions: Sometimes, you need to be a bit savage when it comes to selfie'ing.
- One-word selfie captions: Using just one word for your selfie caption? Not everyone can pull it off, but we urge you to try.
- Car selfie captions: Car selfies are not the most popular, but if you go this route, please make sure you've got a solid caption to go with.
- Creative selfie captions: Creativity does not end after you snap your selfie — add a creative caption and watch the likes pour in!